On Sunday, I decided to make a Moroccan Stew in my crockpot. It was super easy & the house smelled great all day! Tonight, I cooked up a few greens & topped them with the reheated stew — quick, tasty, healthy dinner! I’m excited to use the stew throughout the week. I could serve it with grilled vegetables, top it with a fried egg, mix it in with rice , or just have it as a quick side.
- 1 Medium red onion, diced
- 2 Sweet peppers, red & yellow, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 - 6 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 - 1 cup of dried chickpeas, soaked
- 1/2 - 1 cup of dried black beans, soaked
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (I used the roasted variety)
- 1 tablespoon of each: Cinnamon, Allspice, Chili Pepper, Cumin
- About a tablespoon of your favorite oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of liquid - broth if you have it, cooking wine, water will even work
- If you are using dried beans, soak them in water for at least 4 hours, or overnight
- When you are ready to get started, chop up the vegetables you are going to use. I had an eggplant, 2 peppers and a few carrots, so I used those. I think almost anything could be great!
- I ended up adding a summer squash near the end. If you want any vegetables in the stew less cooked, hold on to them!
- Load up the crockpot with the chopped veggies, dried beans, can of diced tomatoes, diced garlic, your choice of oil, the spices, a splash of vinegar & whatever liquid you are using.
- Mix everything together & turn the crockpot on high.
- The best part -- wait for it to cook & let your house fill with delicious smells! You can stir every once in awhile & check on it, but it can be left entirely alone.
- After 5 hours, I decided to add a Summer squash & golden raisins. I stirred them in & then turned the crockpot on "low".
- After some time (when I got hungry) I decided the dish was done... I had a bowl for dinner & then packed up the rest for leftovers! The great thing about crockpots is that they are so low-maintenance, it's hard to overcook! So awesome.
- Enjoy (tonight, and many more meals to come)